Dr. Jamie Corroon is a leading expert in medical cannabis research. In this episode, he discusses the use of cannabis in functional medicine. Hear insights about:
- How and why Dr. Corroon carved out his niche in medical cannabis research
- Why Dr. Corroon is focused on bringing elements of patient management and monitored treatment into the medical cannabis community
- What Dr. Corroon is doing to address the many public health questions surrounding the use of medical cannabis
- Why medical cannabis has been so effective as an alternative/supplemental treatment for pain management
- Using THC vs. CBD for different types of treatment, and how to find the best quality products
A New Wave of Medical Cannabis Research
Dr. Jamie Corroon is a naturopathic doctor, peer-reviewed clinical researcher, and one of the world’s foremost authorities in medical cannabis research. He is also the founder and Medical Director of the Center for Medical Cannabis Education, where he advises dietary supplement and cannabis companies regarding science, regulation, and product development. In this episode of the FM Shift, Dr. Corroon joins us to share his expertise and talk about the progressive use of medical cannabis in functional medicine treatment plans.
Before carving out his niche in medical cannabis research, Dr. Corroon practiced as a generalist. He went back to school and got his master’s in public health so he could specialize in clinical research, eventually focusing on the explosive use of medical cannabis. Although it has been available in California since 1996, there remains a major disconnect between the programs that enable medical cannabis use and the patients who use it. In Dr. Corroon’s niche, he continues to find new ways to bridge that gap, bringing elements of patient management and monitored treatment into the equation.
Treating Pain with Medical Cannabis
Much of Dr. Corroons recent work in medical cannabis research has been focused on addressing the public health concerns of medical cannabis use. At the height of the opioid crisis, pain treatment continues to be one of the focal points in this discussion. Many patients are using medical cannabis as an adjunct or substitute for pharmacotherapy, and states like Colorado are even offering patients the option to trade pharmaceutical prescriptions for medical marijuana. Because of the opioid crisis, many physicians are looking for alternative means for pain management, and medical cannabis has been extremely effective in this area.
How to Connect with Dr. Jamie Corroon
- Website: https://www.centerformedicalcannabis.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jamie-corroon-nd-mph-0917b0111/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/drjamiecorroon
- Twitter: @jcorroon
About Dr. Jamie Corroon
Dr. Jamie Corroon, ND, MPH is the founder and Medical Director of the Center for Medical Cannabis Education. Dr. Corroon is a licensed Naturopathic Doctor and clinical researcher. In addition to clinical practice, Dr. Corroon advises dietary supplement and cannabis companies regarding science, regulation, and product development. Dr. Corroon is well-published in the peer-review literature, with recent publications that investigate the clinical and public health implications of the broadening acceptance of Cannabis in society.