Episode 35: Beyond the Bounds of Conventional Medicine
Functional Medicine Practitioner: What You Will Learn:
- Dr. Dyer’s transition from internal medicine doctor to functional medicine practitioner
- Why conventional medicine tends to beat doctors into conformity and submission
- What makes functional medicine so much more effective than traditional medicine
- Why FM providers should be focused on building a new system that makes conventional medicine obsolete instead of trying to fundamentally change conventional medicine
- How practitioners can break out of the confines of conventional medicine and transition into functional medicine
- How to craft the patient-facing communication strategy of your functional medicine practice
- How Dr. Dyer structured his practice model up to facilitate group medical visits
The New Age of Medicine
Dr. Bradley Dyer is a D.O. and a functional medicine practitioner, but he is also classically trained as an internal medicine physician. He is the founder of Premier Integrative Health, a Kansas City-based practice focused on helping patients achieve optimal health and vitality by getting to the root cause of their health concerns. Dr. Dyer believes the body has an amazing ability to heal itself, and that treatments should focus on creating health rather than treating disease. In this episode of The FM Shift, he joins us to share his journey in functional medicine and talk about his holistic approach to treatment.
Break Out of Conformity
Even before Dr. Dyer became a functional medicine practitioner, he always had an interest in fitness and nutrition. His transition from traditional internal medicine to functional medicine was largely driven by his passion for understanding what the human body is capable of when it performs in the right environment. Conventional medicine tends to beat doctors into submission and conformity, so Dr. Dyer saw integrative and functional medicine as a means to break the mold and make a difference in his patients’ lives.
Reinventing Our Healthcare System
Functional medicine practitioners are operating well outside of the old, antiquated medical system that no longer meets patients’ needs. Our traditional healthcare system is not “broken” as many people claim. It does exactly what it is supposed to do, and at the end of the day, it is a for-profit industry. Many doctors are just pawns in the system, but functional medicine is the answer. It is our duty to serve our patients as best we possibly can. There is no point in trying to change an inadequate system when we can contribute to building a new system that makes conventional medicine obsolete.
About Dr. Bradley Dyer
Dr. Dyer is on a mission to make a positive impact in the world by helping people regain health and vitality by getting to the root cause of their health concerns. He believes the body has an amazing ability to heal itself and that treatments should focus on creating health rather than treating disease.
Dr. Dyer is board-certified in Internal Medicine and also completed a residency in Psychiatry. While working as a Hospitalist physician Dr. Dyer completed a fellowship in Integrative Medicine with Dr. Andrew Weil and the University of Arizona. He then went on to become a Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner through the Institute for Functional Medicine.
Dr. Dyer still works one week a month as a Hospitalist and spends the other three weeks per month serving his patients at Premier Integrative Health which is his true passion.
When he is not working, Dr. Dyer loves spending time with his wife and two boys. He is a big believer in the healing power of nature and loves to be outdoors as much as possible especially when it involves cycling, hiking, and camping.
How to Connect with Dr. Bradley Dyer:
- Website: https://www.premierintegrativehealthkc.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brad-dyer-do-b8549845/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/premierintegrativehealth
- Twitter: @IntegrativeDO